How to connect to a server SSH with a Mac
You don't need to install a third-party client like PuTTY if you're using MacOS® X to connect to your cloud server via Secure Shell (SSH). The Mac Terminal is the macOS operating system's command line interface (CLI) (OS). You can use Terminal to connect to remote servers via a variety of protocols, including ssh, sftp, ftp, telnet, or a custom protocol.
SSH defaults to TCP port 22, but this can be changed to a non-standard port. To securely connect the client to the remote server, the SSH process employs symmetric encryption, asymmetric encryption, and hashing.
- Locate Terminal by clicking on the 'Launchpad' icon on the mac book.
- Then open the 'Other' folder'.
- Now double click on the 'Terminal Icon' to launch the terminal.
- If this is your computer's first-time Instructions, you may be asked to accept the connection. You can do this by typing:
- When prompted, type your server's password. You will NOT see your cursor moving, or any characters typed (such as ******), when typing your password. This is a standard Terminal security feature.
- If you entered the correct password, a shell prompt is returned:
These instructions are for users who are connecting for the first time to a new Cloud Server. If you're connecting as a non-root user, replace root with your username in the instructions.
How to change the root password?
After your first login, change the root password by performing the following steps:
- At the shell prompt, type the following command:
- Change your password by following the prompts below:
Enter new UNIX password: Retype new UNIX password:
If you enter identical passwords, you will receive the following confirmation that the authentication tokens have been successfully updated:
Passwd: password updated successfully
The password does not echo to the screen.
When connecting to your server, use the new password with the root user.
This conlcudes this tutorial for creating a new SSH key to connect your Mac terminal program to a Netooze server via SSH. For best security practices, make sure you keep your password private and don’t share the password unless absolutely necessary.
Netooze® is a cloud platform, offering services from data centers globally. When developers can use the straightforward, economical cloud that they love, businesses expand more quickly. With predictable pricing, thorough documentation, and scalability to support business growth at any stage, Netooze® has the cloud computing services you need. Startups, enterprises, and government agencies can use Netooze® to lower costs, become more agile, and innovate faster.